Regular Updates on Gion Festival Facebook Page
There’s lots happening during the Gion Festival, and most of it is little advertised or marketed only in Japanese. I’ve attended more the festival more than a dozen times, and have spent time at each of the floats, in each of their communities, and logged quantities of fitbit steps going in between them.
During the festival in July, I’ll be sharing special events and little-known vignettes on my Gion Festival Facebook page. Please check there for info on things like:
* The spectacular reintroduction of Ōfune Boko, after a 150-year absence.
* Tea ceremony and R&R at Kikusui Boko.
* Relief for tsunami and nuclear fallout survivors at Yamabushi Yama.
* A cutting-edge, experiential Gion Festival “Digital Museum exhibit at Kyoto Cultural Museum.
* Tours of traditional machiya.